How to solve machining errors with Fagor Automation
Machining errors may have many causes, some of them related to features associated with the design, with the kinematics, the assembly… Here is the latest tool from Fagor Automation to fix machining errors: “Easy Volumetric Compensation”.
The best way to solve some of these errors is by properly designing the machine. However, this is not always possible or not economically viable. There may be several types of design problems, for example:
On the other hand, in medium or large sized machines, increasing rigidity may be impossible beyond a certain limit, or have an unacceptable cost.
This is why classic error compensation tools need to be complemented with more advanced tools that adapt to different machine designs, even with particular kinematics.
Simple Volumetric Compensation
A few years ago, Fagor Automation launched Volumetric Compensation as a response to that need. Using measurements made by specialized companies, up to 21 compensation tables were generated that the CNC managed simultaneously to obtain high quality machining.
Recently, Fagor Automation has launched the “Easy Volumetric Compensation” where it is enough to define 25 control points per axis; therefore, it is much faster to calibrate and integrate the points into the CNC.
This greatly improves the accuracy of the machine and is more economical because it avoids the need to hire external companies to take the measurements. Without reaching the accuracy levels of the standard Volumetric Compensation, very relevant and valid improvements in accuracy are achieved for most machines.
Here is a comparison of the advantages offered by the two levels of Volumetric Compensation offered by Fagor Automation:
Easy Volumetric Compensation
- The volume to be compensated is defined by a maximum of 25 control points for each axis
- Corrects transfer errors
- The compensation tables are generated by the calibration application editable from the CNC
- The manufacturer must define the compensation data (axes, position, size to be compensated…)
- The basic compensation is the fastest to calibrate, but may be somewhat less accurate than the others.
Medium or Large Volumetric Compensation
- Volume compensation up to 10m3 (medium) or more than 10m3 (large)
- Corrects the 21 geometric errors (translation, rotation and squaring of the axes)
- The compensation tables are generated by the calibration application, they cannot be edited from the CNC
- The manufacturer only needs to define the axes to compensate and select the file generated by the calibration application. The rest of the data will be by default in the application.
- Medium and large compensations are more accurate than small ones, but they are slower to calibrate.
If you want more information about Simple Volumetric Compensation, please contact us through our forms.